Total Pageviews

There was an error in this gadget

Monday, December 13, 2010

Police arrest Rwandan for genocide


A Rwandan prays over the bones of genocide victims at a mass grave in Nyamata, Rwanda. Archive. - Foto: SAYYID AZIM (Arkiv)/AP
A 48-year-old man has been arrested by Danish police on cRwandan prays over the bones of genocide victims at a mass grave in Nyamata, Rwanda. Archive. - Foto: SAYYID AZIM (Arkiv)/AP

Danish police have arrested a man on charges of genocide in Rwanda 16 years ago.



harges of genocide carried out in southern Rwanda in 1994. He is to be presented in remand court in Roskilde on Thursday.
The public prosecutor says the arrest comes following some five months of investigation, but is unwilling to disclose the information that has led to the arrest of the man, who has lived in Denmark since 2001.
“The information we have collected gives us grounds for suspicion,” says Public Prosecutor Birgitte Vestberg. Investigators from the Public Prosecutor’s Office for Special International Crime have been to Rwanda to investigate the case.
According to Politiken's information, charges are said to involve complicity in a massacre in late April 1994 at Kabuye Hill in Gisagara Parish in which some 25,000 people were massacred by Interahamwe militiamen after being sent to the area by government troops.
The current case is not the first time that the public prosecutor has charged a Rwandan living in Denmark for crimes committed during the Rwandan civil war in 1994. A previous case ended however with charges being dropped.
Nonetheless Vestberg says that arrests in both the current and previous case were well-founded.
“We do not arrest people unless we believe there is probable cause,” Vestberg says.
In the previous case in 2006 a Rwandan man was arrested and held for 11 months charged with complicity in the deaths of 25 Tutsis in the Rwandan capital Kigali. But charges were eventually dropped and the man was awarded DKK 1 million in damages.
Edited by Julian Isherwood


Rwandan remanded in genocide case

Foto: REBECCA BLACKWELL (Arkiv)/AP
FOTO: REBECCA BLACKWELL (Arkiv)/AP

A Rwandan man has denied genocide charges presented at a remand hearing in Roskilde in Denmark.


A 48-year-old Rwandan who has lived in Denmark since 2001 has been remanded in custody for four weeks. He denies genocide charges brought against him in connection with the Rwandan civil war in 1994.
The man, whose name remains sub-judice, appeared in a remand hearing this morning in Roskilde after being arrested yesterday. He was detained following extensive investigations over the past five months by the Special Prosecutor for International Criminal Cases, both in Denmark and Rwanda.
According to the charges, the man took part in killing Tutsis in 1994.
“The accused took part in the killings from April 18 to the end of May by heading or having responsibility for two road blacks,” the prosecutor says adding; “Many Tutsis were killed here on the orders of the accused”.
The charges also relate to events that took place in and around Kabuye Hill in Gisagara Parish in which some 25,000 people are said to have been massacred by Hutu Interahamwe militiamen after being sent to the area by government troops.
A demand by the defence to close doors of the hearing was denied, but the judge said the name the man had been using during his stay in Denmark would remain sub judice. The man is said to have used several names both in Denmark and in Rwanda.
If found guilty, the man faces a maximum 16-year sentence.
Edited by Julian Isherwood


No comments: